Sunday, 26 December 2010

Southerndown


 

The brilliant 5th was the best hole I have seen so far

This was exactly what I came to play.

Southerndown is built on top of a huge hill approximately 300 feet above the ocean, which is in the background of many holes. The course is on sand and features both large undulation and small undulations in the fairways. It gets off to a most unusual start by climbing close to 100 feet on the opening four. This is followed by three consecutive blind tee shots before you reach the incredible par three 5th. But don’t sell the first four short since each has a great green site is beautiful and there is lots of room that you can’t see until you crest the hill. The approach to the 2nd is world class and each of the fours has some wonderful opportunities for creativity.

The rest of the holes are for the most part right out in front of you. I played high cut shots, fed the ball in from 40 yards short, played knock downs into the wind and even hit well right of a green to let the natural tight slope feed it all the way back into 15 feet. Each approach offered options depending on wind, confidence and the distance remaining. I found I occasionally tried an unusual shot because it just seemed to make the most sense. The best part about the course was the absence of rough everywhere. I chipped and putted from well away from the green and just about anywhere where I had options because everything was kept tight.

The playing experience was fantastic and the architecture was well worth seeing. This is a course that I would return to play. I don’t think there have been many rounds where I was so disappointed to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment