Friday, 14 September 2012

Highlands Links Retrospective – Part 6 – It’s Over!?

The Muddy Man - taken today
Daily Update: Well the 6th hole fairway bunkers have drainage despite being built only 6” above high tide. We had to set a very shallow drain and use a backflow preventer system to make this all function. The bunkers are not done, but everything at this point is simply detail work and finishing. The bunkers are formed and obvious.


The morning is ideal for seeing wildlife

I’m finding today has made me slightly sad.

I love coming here. Nothing is more enjoyable than heading out onto the golf course as the sun comes up. The mountains begin to emerge from the shadows and the ocean sparkles in the suns rays. It’s a beautiful way to start a day.

The morning involves organizing what we want to get done with the day. There’s a lot of teasing and laughter in the morning as we make sure everyone gets taken down a notch. Guys being guys. I have enjoyed every single hour that I have worked with the staff and the bunker boys in particular.  The bunker boys have worked their rear ends off to help me get the bunkers restored.

It's fun building bunkers like these

I actually enjoy labouring. I particularly enjoy working with an edger, shovel and rake to try and get the shapes and details I want. But I’ll lay pipe, compact the bunkers, spread sand, sod, essentially whatever it takes to get it done. I like all of the work and I really like the way I feel at the end of the day knowing we got a lot accomplished. The best feeling is when a bunker is completed and I can look at the fruits of our labour.

I’m not sure what the future will bring when it comes to Highlands Links. I don’t know if any of the bunker boys will remain working at the course. I don’t know if this was the last day I’ll ever work here. I find that very sad on both accounts if that's the case. While I should be happy we are pretty much done the restoration, I'm sad all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment