Sleeping Scout

Best painting I have done to date. The cat' face turned out really well. I choose to mute the fur by painting over it with a wash and liked the more muted look after. It encourages me to go back to trying to faces and use the same technique. 

 Our cat "Scout" (To Kill a Mockingbird) is 15 and getting older and slower with time.



Decided to share the first pass to share my process. I don't paint wet. I wash sections and let it dry completely instead. I like a very detailed sketch which includes my intentions on shadows. I begin with highlights trying to match the colours on the photo. If it's close, the fine tuning after is fairly easy. I use painting gum to protect my white highlights, like the whiskers. This is a typical first pass: the brightest colours, the soft colours and a few specific details that have to be right. In this instance it was the nose and mouth.

Comments